On this seven-song EP, Bethany Cosentino combines the sundown power-pop buzz of Best Coast's 2010 debut with the Hulk-hug melodies and emotional gravity of last year's The Only Place to make for something masterfully archetypal but utterly her own. The EP was inspired by Patsy Cline, Mazzy Star, My Bloody Valentine and Ambien – four great tastes that go great together, as the set fades from bubblegum rush to torchy shoegaze, and Cosentino peels off lyrics that cut to the heart of romantic torment and psychological torpor. "I'm waking up to strangers with their shadows on my face," she sings. What she's become is a dream-pop superhero.
- Fade Away
- Best Coast
- Jewel City
From The Archives Issue 1196: November 21, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Ace Frehley Announces New LP, 'White Room' Cover, Paul Stanley Reunion
- Kanye West Announces Album's Final Title, 'The Life of Pablo,' Track List
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- Anti-Beyonce Protesters Planning Rally Outside NFL Offices
- Slipknot's Corey Taylor Talks Combating Racism in Metal
- Eagles Members, Jackson Browne Uniting for Glenn Frey Grammy Tribute
- Watch Johnny Depp Star in Funny or Die's Donald Trump Biopic