Recorded when Presley was 25, fresh off a two-year military stint and musically fit to burst, Elvis Is Back! might be the King's greatest noncompilation LP: wildly varied material, revelatory singing, impeccable stereo sound. This reissue includes other period singles (check out the crazily operatic 1961 hit "Surrender") and the entire follow-up album, Something for Everybody. Yes, it's the beginning of schmaltzy Elvis; see the spoken-word bathos of "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" Yet even there, the hook melodrama is dazzling. And when he rocks the hard-on blues "It Feels So Right," dude sounds like he could convert a nunnery.
Elvis Is Back! (Legacy Edition)
- Elvis Is Back! (Legacy Edition)
- Elvis Presley
From The Archives Issue 1125: March 3, 2011
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Mental Floss10 Actors Who Hated Their Own Films
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Mental Floss10 People Banned from SNL
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
Cracked27 Surprising Real Stories Behind Famous Songs
- Watch John Oliver Defend Transgender Rights on 'Last Week Tonight'
- Watch U2 Play 'Gloria' for First Time In 10 Years at Chicago Show
- Hating Seth MacFarlane: A Timeline
- What's Killing the Babies of Vernal, Utah?
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Watch Puff Daddy Throw Bad Boy Reunion at BET Awards
- Chris Squire, Yes Bassist and Co-Founder, Dead at 67
- Watch Kanye West Cover Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody'