Elvis' 1973 sessions at Stax Studio, the Southern-soul crucible in his Memphis hometown, freed him a bit from the biz-y group-think that cheesed-out his later work. The remarkable results, originally scattered across middling LPs, get bundled with illuminating outtakes on this three-CD set. Amid country gems and corn are swaggering gospel funk ("I Got a Feelin' in My Body") and meaty rock & roll (a hit version of Chuck Berry's "Promised Land" that echoes the Grateful Dead's). Had the King lived to work with T Bone Burnett, let alone the Weeknd, who knows?
Elvis at Stax
- Elvis at Stax
- Elvis Presley
From The Archives Issue 1192: September 26, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- 'Game of Thrones' Recap: Snow Day
- 'Obama Out': See President's Scathing Correspondents' Dinner Speech
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- See Aretha Franklin Sing Prince's 'Purple Rain' at White House
- Paul McCartney Meets Women Who Inspired Beatles' 'Blackbird'
- The Line That May Have Won Hillary Clinton the Nomination
- How Making a Murderer's Steven Avery Could Be Freed Without a Trial
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time