"We gonna have a ball/But we ain't got no need for chains," Sleeper Agent shout on their debut. The Kentucky sextet aren't the first band to hearken back to bygone notions of teenage abandon—they're just really great at it. In their retro paradise, Strokes guitars and Pixies power surges bump up against overheated Sixties-rock riffs, lusty Seventies bubblegum bluster and girl-group cuteness, while 18-year-old frontwoman Alex Kandel sings about raunchy hookups ("Get It Daddy") and her restless legs ("Love Blood"). If lines like "And this lust was built in/Straight into my bones" imply extracurricular interests that keep her parents up nights, the band's musical know-how would do its elders proud.
- Sleeper Agent
- Mom+Pop Music
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- The Point of No Return: Climate Change Nightmares Are Already Here
- Conservative Heads Explode Over Kentucky's Bigoted County Clerk
- Keith Richards: Rap Is for 'Tone-Deaf People'
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Alice Cooper and Joe Perry on Hollywood Vampires' Drunk History
- Watch Slayer and Danny Trejo Film Gore-Drenched Video at L.A. Prison
- How Coheed and Cambria Broke Concept-Album Streak on New LP
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time