Royal Bangs have slid from the noisy toe-tappers of earlier records to a brighter pastiche of styles heard on their fourth album – a transformation not unlike the Black Keys', whose Patrick Carney produced Brass. But it's hard not to hear stronger bands all over the LP. The sweeping "Laurel" could be a My Morning Jacket B side, and ELO get a workout on "Octagon." Do the Shins know about "Better Run"?
- Royal Bangs
- Modern Art
From The Archives Issue 1195: November 7, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Movies, Ranked Worst to Best
- 17 Things You Learn Hanging Out With Adele
- The Oral History of the 'Wayne’s World' 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Scene
- America Is Too Dumb for TV News
- George Lucas Explains Controversial Greedo–Han Solo 'Star Wars' Edit
- Hear Sunn O)))'s 'Bright' Drone-Metal Return LP, 'Kannon'
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole Trade Beats for 'Black Friday' Surprise