By closing their debut with a cover of "This Is How We Do It," Montell Jordan's mid-Nineties New Jack Swing romp, AlunaGeorge hand listeners a parting thought: For almost 20 years, R&B has been inseparable from electronic music. While Aluna Francis sings tart kiss-offs to foolish exes, producer George Reid keeps the digital activity as stylish and minimalist as a Helmut Lang showroom. He builds "Attracting Flies" around a wobbly synth hook and shifting percussion, as Francis coolly smacks down a bullshitter by using text-message shorthand: B.A.B. Only in London could a Bad Ass Bitch be this elegant and relaxed.
- Body Music
From The Archives Issue 1190: August 29, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
MTV News19 Songs You Didn’t Know Ed Sheeran Wrote
VultureEvery American Idol Finalist, Ranked From Worst to Best
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind The Scenes
Mental Floss11 Actors Who Asked For Their Characters To Be Killed Off
Diffuser21 Best Alt Rock Albums
SalonSecrets Of The Female Pickup Artist
- A Final Visit With Prince: Rolling Stone's Lost Cover Story
- What Should We Make of the Hillary Clinton Indictment Speculation?
- What Jon Snow's Return Means for 'Game of Thrones'
- Met Gala 2016: Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Kanye West, Nicki Minaj and More
- How Six Classic Rock Legends United for One Mega Festival
- Stones, McCartney, Dylan, the Who, Waters, Young Confirm Mega-Fest
- Watch Pearl Jam Perform With Sting, Cheap Trick in New York
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time