The third Those Darlins record opens with a drunk shower in a "shit hotel." But it doesn't stay clean for long: "Flowing these juices/The weed has induced us," Jessi Darlin sings a couple of songs later on "That Man." Since starting out as trashy, fun-loving cowpunks, the twogirl/two-guy Murfreesboro, Tennessee, band has gone further toward gnarled garage rock with each album. Some of the Darlins' loose sense of humor has been lost along the way, but it's been replaced by a seductive bite that goes well with their lupine guitar ooze. "Western Sky," a rejection of "civilized noise," adds another wrinkle to their sound: shambling Meat Puppets-like prettiness that stretches out beyond the red-rock horizon.
Blur the Line
- Blur the Line
- Those Darlins
- Oh Wow Dang
From The Archives Issue 1197: December 5, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast20 Things You Didn’t Know About Pulp Fiction
SalonThe 13 Most Cringeworthy Sex Scenes in ‘Girls’
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most Elite Sex Party
Salon10 Songs with Hidden Drug References
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
- 15 Best Lines From Justin Bieber's Roast
- Rolling Stones Announce Summer Tour, 'Sticky Fingers' Reissue
- 'WWE Raw': Brock Lesnar vs. the World
- 10 Things We Learned From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'
- 5 Things We Learned From 'Walking Dead''s Season 5 Finale
- Scott Weiland's Guitarist Jeremy Brown Dead at 34
- Inside Scientology
- Zayn Malik Goes Solo, Gets Moody on 'I Won't Mind'