The third Those Darlins record opens with a drunk shower in a "shit hotel." But it doesn't stay clean for long: "Flowing these juices/The weed has induced us," Jessi Darlin sings a couple of songs later on "That Man." Since starting out as trashy, fun-loving cowpunks, the twogirl/two-guy Murfreesboro, Tennessee, band has gone further toward gnarled garage rock with each album. Some of the Darlins' loose sense of humor has been lost along the way, but it's been replaced by a seductive bite that goes well with their lupine guitar ooze. "Western Sky," a rejection of "civilized noise," adds another wrinkle to their sound: shambling Meat Puppets-like prettiness that stretches out beyond the red-rock horizon.
Blur the Line
- Blur the Line
- Those Darlins
- Oh Wow Dang
From The Archives Issue 1197: December 5, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Diffuser15 Disturbing Songs People Love
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Mental FlossWhere Are 10 Key Players in The O.J. Simpson Trial Now?
SpinThe 101 Best Kanye West-Produced Songs That Don’t Feature Kanye
TestTubeHow Much Sex Should You Be Having?
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- The Koch Brothers' Dirty War on Solar Power
- 'Silence of the Lambs' at 25: The Complete Buffalo Bill Story
- 35 WTF Moments From the Craziest GOP Debate Yet
- Republican Hopefuls Utterly Implode in Most Entertaining Debate Yet
- 'Blame Chance': Kanye West Explains 'Life of Pablo' Album Delay
- 10 Things That Piss Off Tom Petty
- Watch Kanye West Debut 'Pablo' Tracks, Rap Battle on 'SNL'