The third Those Darlins record opens with a drunk shower in a "shit hotel." But it doesn't stay clean for long: "Flowing these juices/The weed has induced us," Jessi Darlin sings a couple of songs later on "That Man." Since starting out as trashy, fun-loving cowpunks, the twogirl/two-guy Murfreesboro, Tennessee, band has gone further toward gnarled garage rock with each album. Some of the Darlins' loose sense of humor has been lost along the way, but it's been replaced by a seductive bite that goes well with their lupine guitar ooze. "Western Sky," a rejection of "civilized noise," adds another wrinkle to their sound: shambling Meat Puppets-like prettiness that stretches out beyond the red-rock horizon.
Blur the Line
- Blur the Line
- Those Darlins
- Oh Wow Dang
From The Archives Issue 1197: December 5, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
DiffuserThe Strangest Deaths In Rock History
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Guitar WorldThe 10 Best Stage Names of All Time
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
- Hear Drake Demolish Meek Mill on 'Back to Back' Freestyle
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Watch David Gilmour's New Animated Video for 'Rattle That Lock'
- Drake Responds to Meek Mill With 'Charged Up' Diss Track
- Watch the Throne: Dave Grohl on How the Foos Saved Their Summer
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Watch the Edge, Adam Clayton's Shock Performance With U2 Cover Band
- Flashback: Watch Two Cut Scenes From 'Shawshank Redemption'