The third Those Darlins record opens with a drunk shower in a "shit hotel." But it doesn't stay clean for long: "Flowing these juices/The weed has induced us," Jessi Darlin sings a couple of songs later on "That Man." Since starting out as trashy, fun-loving cowpunks, the twogirl/two-guy Murfreesboro, Tennessee, band has gone further toward gnarled garage rock with each album. Some of the Darlins' loose sense of humor has been lost along the way, but it's been replaced by a seductive bite that goes well with their lupine guitar ooze. "Western Sky," a rejection of "civilized noise," adds another wrinkle to their sound: shambling Meat Puppets-like prettiness that stretches out beyond the red-rock horizon.
Blur the Line
- Blur the Line
- Those Darlins
- Oh Wow Dang
From The Archives Issue 1197: December 5, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportWhat It's Like to Be in Mayweather's Entourage
Men's JournalDo Men Suck at Friendship?
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema BlendTop 10 Steamiest Sex Scenes
- Watch Terry Crews Punch Out Mike Tyson on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Watch Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jon Stewart Debate Superman vs. Batman
- Motley Crue on Rock Hall Chances and Why Bands Need Retirement Contracts
- Navajo Actress Explains Why She Left Adam Sandler 'Ridiculous 6' Set
- Waka Flocka Flame for President: Watch His Exclusive Campaign Video
- 10 Things We Learned From Johnny Rotten's 'Uncensored' New Memoir
- Joan Jett: Built to Rock
- Waka Flocka Flame for President, Day Two: This Is Not a Joke