The fact that Jeffrey Williams chose a rap name as bland as Young Thug just makes the revelation of his off-the-wall brilliance all the more intense. The 22-year-old Atlanta lunatic gets over on pure, giddy eccentricity – breathlessly braying, cackling, even drunkenly crooning rhymes like "Foreign car outside, that bitch got two digits/Money stand like eight feet, just like two midgets." On this mixtape with his bud Bloody Jay, Young Thug also pushes at the sonic possibilities of his wild style (see the treacherously woozy "Florida Water"). Who knows why it's called Black Portland? But like the Blazers' Damian Lillard, he's having a hell of a season.
- Black Portland
- Young Thug and Bloody Jay
From The Archives Issue 1204: March 13, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental FlossHow 12 Famous Rappers Picked Their Names
Cinema Blend10 Great Shows That Went Way Downhill
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
- Watch John Oliver Explore Insanity of Standardized Testing
- 9 Things We Learned From the Kurt Cobain Doc 'Montage of Heck'
- 'The Dance' at 25: How Garth Brooks' Weeper Became an Unlikely Hit
- 'The Voice' Top Six Recap: Unexpected Songs Steal the Show
- Noel Gallagher Sounds Off on Tidal, Zayn Malik and Same-Sex Marriage
- Watch Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black Remake Extreme's 'More Than Words' Video
- Eric Clapton Celebrates 70th Birthday With All-Star New York Show
- West Memphis Three's Damien Echols: 'Today Was My Original Execution Date'