Kieran Hebden makes electronic-dance tracks for cosmic states of mind. Beautiful Rewind, the U.K. native's seventh LP as Four Tet, mixes club-ready rhythms with touches of brain-melt psychedelia: "Gong" opens with rumbling drums and shaky metallic clangs active beneath alien-vocal coos, as if lifted from a ritual by some deep-space tribe. Other tracks range from synths-on-the-fritz freakouts ("Parallel jalebi") to mantric spells of samples tweaked through trance-inducing repetition ("Ba teaches yoga"). A focus on beats and ecstatic dance fever comes at the expense of more expansive songcraft revealed by Four Tet of yore, but the effect remains otherworldly in its mix of finesse and raucous musical adventure.
- Beautiful Rewind
- Four Tet
From The Archives Issue 1195: November 7, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Facts You Didn't Know About Back To The Future
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
- Green Day Thank Vans, Fans, Rock & Roll at Hall of Fame: Read the Speech
- Read Miley Cyrus' Badass Hall of Fame Speech for Joan Jett
- Yoko Ono: Ringo Starr 'Was the Most Influential Beatle'
- Joan Jett Delivers Blistering Rock Hall Set With Dave Grohl, Miley Cyrus
- Read Patti Smith's Poignant Lou Reed Rock Hall Induction
- Being Ringo: A Beatle's All-Starr Life
- Read Fall Out Boy's Loving Green Day Tribute at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Stephen Colbert Admits He Didn't Want to Host 'Daily Show'