Kieran Hebden makes electronic-dance tracks for cosmic states of mind. Beautiful Rewind, the U.K. native's seventh LP as Four Tet, mixes club-ready rhythms with touches of brain-melt psychedelia: "Gong" opens with rumbling drums and shaky metallic clangs active beneath alien-vocal coos, as if lifted from a ritual by some deep-space tribe. Other tracks range from synths-on-the-fritz freakouts ("Parallel jalebi") to mantric spells of samples tweaked through trance-inducing repetition ("Ba teaches yoga"). A focus on beats and ecstatic dance fever comes at the expense of more expansive songcraft revealed by Four Tet of yore, but the effect remains otherworldly in its mix of finesse and raucous musical adventure.
- Beautiful Rewind
- Four Tet
From The Archives Issue 1195: November 7, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonBehind-The-Scenes Secrets Of Comedy’s ’90s Glory Days
Mental Floss10 Messages Hidden in the Background of Movies and TV Shows
DiffuserThe 10 Nastiest Feuds In Alternative Music
Guitar WorldThe 30 Most Badass Guitarists of All Time
Cracked6 Hit Songs That Destroyed The Bands They Made Famous
TestTubeThe Best Sex Positions
- Watch Adele, Fallon, Roots Sing 'Hello' With Classroom Instruments
- 50 Wildest Guns N' Roses Moments
- Watch Adele Perform Smoky '25' Ballad 'Million Years Ago'
- Tips for Dealing With Fake 'Racist Uncle' Think Pieces This Thanksgiving
- 10 New Artists You Need to Know: November 2015
- Queen's Tragic Rhapsody
- Watch Justin Bieber Sing in the Rain During 2015 AMAs Finale
- The Inside Story of David Bowie's Stunning New Album, 'Blackstar'