Ty Dolla $ign is next in line to reap the success of genre-hopping, ecstatically Auto-Tuned singer-rappers like Future and Rich Homie Quon. Over a handful of well-received mixtapes and tons of guest spots, the Los Angeles artist's singsong rap&B has maintained a perfect balance of comforting croon and pickup-artist kink – think "Fiesta"-era R. Kelly with an extra dash of robotic perv. This solid seven-song EP, Ty's first official release, doesn't sail out too far from the formula of his Beach House mixtapes. Sultry single "Paranoid" features frank lines like "Your bitch look like a booga wolf," delivered with Casanova charm and a thin layer of computer love. DJ Mustard's lush synths (also lurking on the Wiz Khalifa-assisted "Or Nah") increasingly sound like slowed-down EDM, while violinist Peter Lee Johnson's presence on five tracks makes the whole venture swing dangerously close to Philly soul – that is, if Billy Paul sang things like "If she ain't got no ass, she got some titties" through an oscillating fan.
Beach House EP
- Beach House EP
- Ty Dolla $ign
From The Archives Issue 1202: February 13, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Cracked6 Bands That Reinvented Themselves To Get Famous
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Beyonce's Black Southern 'Formation'
- Watch Coldplay, Beyonce and Bruno Mars Rock Super Bowl 50 Halftime
- Feel Bad for Cam Newton, Even If You Hate Him
- Super Bowl 50 Commercials: The Best and Worst From the Big Game
- Watch Elton John Belt Classics in 'Carpool Karaoke'
- The Vampire Squid Tells Us How to Vote