B.B. King heats up the holiday with his first-ever collection of Yuletide music, and, after a single listening, you have to wonder what took him so long. The man who most of us know as the greatest living blues guitarist imbues this well-chosen collection of blues and R&B Christmas standards with a playfulness and graciousness that marks most of his work over the past fifty-five years. Inspired performances by King's own touring band add to this enchanting surprise package, which skillfully manages to avoid all of the seasonal cliches, both by the expert musicianship, and the sheer warmth of his personality. Instead of just recycling weary classics, the bluesmaster has plucked little-heard songs like "Blues Decorations" and "To Someone That I Love" out of mothballs and given them a new coat of varnish and a jaunty Santa cap. Especially insouciant are his versions of the well-traveled "Merry Christmas Baby" ("I ain't had a drink this evenin'/But I'm lit up like a Christmas tree"), and the bawdy "Back Door Santa." In addition, King (who produced the album himself) also includes two originals in this collection: "Celebration," which was released as a single in 1960, and the newly recorded "Christmas Love." Not only will this record make the season bright; it will also help those in need, since all the profits will be donated to the City of Hope biomedical research and treatment center.
A Christmas Celebration Of Hope
- A Christmas Celebration Of Hope
- B.B. King
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Real People Screwed By 'True-Story' Movies Based On Them
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died At Age 27
VultureEvery American Idol Finalist, Ranked From Worst to Best
Salon10 Insane Climax Tips
Mental Floss11 Actors Who Asked For Their Characters To Be Killed Off
Cracked6 On-Set Arguments That Almost Derailed Classic Films
- Prince in the Nineties: An Oral History
- Gwen Stefani Enlists George Clooney, Julia Roberts for 'Carpool Karaoke'
- Why America Can't Quit the Drug War
- 10 Songs You Didn't Know Ed Sheeran Wrote
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Detail New Album 'The Getaway'
- See System of a Down's Serj Tankian Perform New Political Song 'Artsakh'
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’: Why Chris Evans Is the Anxious Avenger
- Prince: Remembering the Rock Star, Funk Lord, Provocateur, Genius