The first concert my friends and I went to on our own was Billy Joel at Rockland Community College — a great night out, except for when that guy behind me threw up on my Turnstiles tour shirt during "Captain Jack." I like to think a kinder, gentler, more sober version of that fine fellow made it to Billy Joel's big-ticket millennium blowout at Madison Square Garden. The concert documented here is a lively reminder of Joel's massively crowd-pleasing way with an arena. 2000 Years opens with quite an unusual one-two punch: a bit of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony going into Joel's characteristically pugnacious Eighties rocker "Big Shot." From then on, the Millennium Concert set list is surprisingly imaginative, including early gems like "Summer, Highland Falls," "The Ballad of Billy the Kid" and "Angry Young Man," as well as more recent, undervalued numbers like "I Go to Extremes" and "Big Man on Mulberry Street." There are also rollicking covers of "Honky Tonk Women" and "Dance to the Music" that prove Billy and the band know how to kick out the party-rock jams — even if, as Joel has claimed, his future may be more in the Beethoven bag than in the "Big Shot" direction.
2000 Years The Millennium Concert
- 2000 Years The Millennium Concert
- Billy Joel
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportWhat It's Like to Be in Mayweather's Entourage
Men's JournalDo Men Suck at Friendship?
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema BlendTop 10 Steamiest Sex Scenes
- Watch Terry Crews Punch Out Mike Tyson on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Watch Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jon Stewart Debate Superman vs. Batman
- Secrets of 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': Joss Whedon Tells All
- Motley Crue on Rock Hall Chances and Why Bands Need Retirement Contracts
- 10 Things We Learned From Johnny Rotten's 'Uncensored' New Memoir
- Navajo Actress Explains Why She Left Adam Sandler 'Ridiculous 6' Set
- Watch System of a Down's First Ever Armenian Show
- Joan Jett: Built to Rock