Peter Travers has been burned by previous Planet of the Apes sequels and remakes, so he was surprised to discover that Rise of the Planet Apes isn't half bad. It isn't half good, either, with stiff performances by James Franco and Slumdog Millionaire's Freida Pinto, but it's worth seeing if just for Andy Serkis' Oscar-worthy performance as Caesar, the lead ape. Serkis, who portrayed Gollum in the Lord of the Rings movies, brings an astounding soulfulness to his digitally-animated character.
'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' Is Better Than Expected
Andy Serkis turns in Oscar-worthy performance as lead ape
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind the Scenes
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died at Age 27
Mental Floss33 Surprising Stories Behind Famous Songs
Screen Rant10 Decisions That Ruined Movies
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Jimmy Carter: U.S. Is an 'Oligarchy With Unlimited Political Bribery'
- Foo Fighters Promise to Visit Italian Town After Viral Video
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Eminem Reveals How Drug Use Led to Weight Gain, Recovery
- Dr. Dre Details Long-Awaited 'Compton: A Soundtrack'
- 'Kids': The Oral History of the Most Controversial Film of the Nineties