Peter Travers has been burned by previous Planet of the Apes sequels and remakes, so he was surprised to discover that Rise of the Planet Apes isn't half bad. It isn't half good, either, with stiff performances by James Franco and Slumdog Millionaire's Freida Pinto, but it's worth seeing if just for Andy Serkis' Oscar-worthy performance as Caesar, the lead ape. Serkis, who portrayed Gollum in the Lord of the Rings movies, brings an astounding soulfulness to his digitally-animated character.
'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' Apes rule in surprisingly good prequel
Andy Serkis amazes as lead ape
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonThe 19 Greatest Double Entendre Songs
VultureAll 169 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked from Worst to Best
Guitar WorldThe 20 Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Mental Floss8 Classic Movie Props That Were Tossed in the Trash
Cracked7 Insane Things TV Shows Did When They Ran Out Of Money
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Watch Coldplay, Beyonce's Colorful 'Hymn for the Weekend' Video
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Cover David Bowie at Bernie Sanders Fundraiser
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- Zola Tells All: The Real Story Behind the Greatest Stripper Saga Ever Tweeted
- Flea: Why I Support Bernie Sanders
- The Monkees Plot 50th Anniversary Tour, New LP 'Good Times!'