With a tumbler full of holiday cheer, Stephen Colbert turned to Mavis Staples, Sean Lennon, Jeff Tweedy and the Harlem Gospel Choir to close out "Christmas Carol Week" on The Colbert Report with "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)." Staples took the lead on the John Lennon/Yoko Ono classic while Tweedy and Lennon strummed acoustic guitars and the choir provided rich backing vocals and, on the last chorus, rhythmic handclaps. After chiming in earlier this week with Elvis Costello and Diana Krall, and Michael Stipe and Mandy Patinkin, Colbert gave himself an early present and watched this one unfold from the sidelines.
Jeff Tweedy, Mavis Staples and Sean Lennon Sing 'Happy Xmas' on 'Colbert'
John Lennon/Yoko Ono song closes 'Christmas Carol Week'
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Guitar WorldThe Beatles' 10 Greatest Guitar Moments
Mental Floss33 Surprising Stories Behind Famous Songs
Cracked7 Musicians Whose Trademark Looks Were Hiding Something
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
Diffuser13 Movies That Killed Actors’ Careers
Mental Floss10 People Banned From SNL
- 50 Best Albums of 2015
- Dave Grohl, Animal Hit the Skins in Epic 'Muppets' Drum Battle
- Watch the Killers, Santa Let Loose in 'Dirt Sledding' Christmas Video
- 'Saturday Night Live': All 141 Cast Members Ranked
- America Is Too Dumb for TV News
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Movies, Ranked Worst to Best
- The Oral History of the 'Wayne’s World' 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Scene