You know Oscar season is around the corner when Peter Travers can't fill his Scum Bucket. "It's the time that studios put out their best movies," he says, "and Captain Phillips is no exception." The Paul Greengrass-directed thriller tells the true story of Captain Richard Phillips, who was kidnapped by Somali pirates in 2009. While Greengrass is primarily known for the action-heavy Bourne franchise, Travers says his documentary style gives Phillips a heart-pounding sense of urgency: "(He) makes it look like we are living what's going on." But our movie critic saves his highest praise for Tom Hanks, whose spellbinding performance "ranks up there" with his Oscar-winning turns in Philadephia and Forrest Gump.
'Captain Phillips' Is Oscar-Worthy
Tom Hanks' performance ranks up there with his very best
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
DiffuserThe 10 Nastiest Feuds In Alternative Music
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Guitar WorldThe Beatles' 10 Greatest Guitar Moments
SalonThe 20 Most Underrated Albums Of All Time
Mental Floss11 Famous Actors Who Apologized for Their Own Movies
TestTubeHow Long Should Sex Last?
- Rupert Murdoch Is Deviant Scum
- Hear Pharrell's Sultry Remix of A Tribe Called Quest's 'Bonita Applebum'
- Inside the Koch Brothers' Toxic Empire
- Inside Motley Crue's Live Excess: From Roller Coaster Drums to Fire-Spitting Bass
- Please Don't Call Ronda Rousey Fat
- See August Burns Red's 'Ghosts' Video Featuring A Day to Remember Singer
- 10 Things We Learned From Elvis Costello's Brilliant New Memoir
- Donald Trump Just Stopped Being Funny