After giving the performance of her career in HBO's Grey Gardens, Drew Barrymore tackles another killer challenge: directing. The empowerment theme of women's roller derby suits her. Dialing herself back to the supporting role of Smashley Simpson, Barrymore focuses on Juno star Ellen Page as a teen Texas BBQ waitress who puts on skates to find her bliss. Bliss is her name, by the way, later changed to Babe Ruthless. Do you sense cutesiness sneaking in? It does, despite skilled actors such as Juliette Lewis as her rival and Kristen Wiig as a fellow Hurl Scout (cute again!). Screenwriter Shauna Cross dulls the edges of her novel Derby Girl, which the skate action and rockin' soundtrack can't disguise. At moments, especially in the conflicted intimacy between Marcia Gay Harden and Daniel Stern as Bliss' parents, Barrymore shows real directing chops. But in Whip It she's painting inside the box.
- Whip It
- Ellen Page, Drew Barrymore, Marcia Gay Harden, Kristen Wiig, Juliette Lewis
- Directed by Drew Barrymore
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportWhat It's Like to Be in Mayweather's Entourage
Men's JournalDo Men Suck at Friendship?
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema BlendTop 10 Steamiest Sex Scenes
- Watch Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jon Stewart Debate Superman vs. Batman
- Watch Terry Crews Punch Out Mike Tyson on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Motley Crue on Rock Hall Chances and Why Bands Need Retirement Contracts
- Navajo Actress Explains Why She Left Adam Sandler 'Ridiculous 6' Set
- 10 Things We Learned From Johnny Rotten's 'Uncensored' New Memoir
- Waka Flocka Flame for President: Watch His Exclusive Campaign Video
- Joan Jett: Built to Rock
- Hear Britney Spears Take 'Tom's Diner' to the Club