"I wonder how we'll get caught," says Edith (Naomi Watts) after some illicit sex in the woods with Jack (Mark Ruffalo). Jack is best buds with Hank (Peter Krause), Edith's husband. And Edith is tight with Terry (Laura Dern), Jack's wife, who decides to screw Hank in retaliation. So it goes on this New England campus where Jack and Hank teach, help their wives raise the kids and betray each other through adultery they don't try that hard to conceal.<p>Based on two short stories by Andre Dubus (In the Bedroom), We Don't Live Here Anymore — astutely directed by John Curran, from an artful screenplay by Larry Gross — sets off sexual fireworks that leave scorched earth. This is Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? for disaffected young marrieds. The film, sometimes talky and overemphatic, is also literate, erotic, brutally funny and touched by brilliance in its quartet of live-wire performances. Krause, of Six Feet Under, and Ruffalo bring a depth to their roles that goes way beyond what's on the page. Watts continues to amaze — a bombshell with a tough core of intelligence and wit. And Dern, in her finest performance since 1996's Citizen Ruth, breaks through to the battered heart of the script's most complex character. Don't discount this film's power — it doesn't just sizzle, it stings.
We Don't Live Here Anymore
- We Don't Live Here Anymore
- Mark Ruffalo, Laura Dern, Peter Krause, Naomi Watts, Sam Charles
- Directed by John Curran
From The Archives Issue 348: July 23, 1981
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonThe 19 Greatest Double Entendre Songs
VultureAll 169 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked from Worst to Best
Guitar WorldThe 20 Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Mental Floss8 Classic Movie Props That Were Tossed in the Trash
Cracked7 Insane Things TV Shows Did When They Ran Out Of Money
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Watch Coldplay, Beyonce's Colorful 'Hymn for the Weekend' Video
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Cover David Bowie at Bernie Sanders Fundraiser
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- Zola Tells All: The Real Story Behind the Greatest Stripper Saga Ever Tweeted
- The Vampire Squid Tells Us How to Vote
- The Monkees Plot 50th Anniversary Tour, New LP 'Good Times!'