What we have here is an exhilarating blast of a movie, full of heart but still punk rock. So don’t get all pissy because it’s in Swedish (with English subtitles) and you never heard of anyone in it and coming-of-age movies about girls make you puke. Girls gone wild? That’s nothing. Prepare to be wowed by girls gone punk. That’s dynamite. Director Lukas Moodysson (Together, Lilya 4-Ever), working from a graphic novel/memoir by his wife, Coco Moodysson, sets fire to clichés. Moodysson uses a time (1982) and place (Stockholm) to deliver a joyous fuck-off to all things bright and dutiful. Bobo (Mira Barkhammar) has attitude and Klara (Mira Grosin) sports a mohawk, but these budding rebels are stuck in the last place you want to be to start a revolution: seventh grade. They find an outlet in punk, forming a garage band with no idea how to play an instrument. They recruit shy Hedvig (Liv LeMoyne) mostly because she can handle a guitar (classical, yuck!). They scissor her hair into the shape they want their sound to be—stripped-down and hardcore. Moodysson, a gifted filmmaker who excels at everything snotty and sublime about youth, never condescends to his female warriors. How could he? The three young stars are radically fierce and funny. As they defiantly perform their gym-burning anthem, “Hate the Sport,” to a chorus of yawns and boos, the result is a fabulous disaster. It’s also pure punk anarchy. We Are the Best! is loud, crude, socially irresponsible and totally irrestistible.
We Are the Best!
- We Are the Best!
- Mira Barkhammar, Mira Grosin, Liv LeMoyne
- Directed by Lukas Moodysson
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Cinema Blend6 Big Questions Every Star Wars Fan Should Be Asking
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked5 Classic Songs That Were Originally Creepy as Hell
SalonTop 10 Oral Sex Scenes
- Waka Flocka Flame for President: Watch His Exclusive Campaign Video
- Bill Withers: The Soul Man Who Walked Away
- 'Full House' Reboot Coming to Netflix
- Kid Cannabis: The Wild Rise and Violent Fall of a Teenage Weed Kingpin
- Willie Nelson: Why You Should Buy My Weed
- AC/DC Drummer Phil Rudd Pleads Guilty to Drugs, Threatening to Kill Charges
- Rick Rubin on Wrestling and How Roddy Piper Turned the Beastie Boys Bad
- Motley Crue Reveal More Tour Dates, Talk New Stage Additions