What we have here is an exhilarating blast of a movie, full of heart but still punk rock. So don’t get all pissy because it’s in Swedish (with English subtitles) and you never heard of anyone in it and coming-of-age movies about girls make you puke. Girls gone wild? That’s nothing. Prepare to be wowed by girls gone punk. That’s dynamite. Director Lukas Moodysson (Together, Lilya 4-Ever), working from a graphic novel/memoir by his wife, Coco Moodysson, sets fire to clichés. Moodysson uses a time (1982) and place (Stockholm) to deliver a joyous fuck-off to all things bright and dutiful. Bobo (Mira Barkhammar) has attitude and Klara (Mira Grosin) sports a mohawk, but these budding rebels are stuck in the last place you want to be to start a revolution: seventh grade. They find an outlet in punk, forming a garage band with no idea how to play an instrument. They recruit shy Hedvig (Liv LeMoyne) mostly because she can handle a guitar (classical, yuck!). They scissor her hair into the shape they want their sound to be—stripped-down and hardcore. Moodysson, a gifted filmmaker who excels at everything snotty and sublime about youth, never condescends to his female warriors. How could he? The three young stars are radically fierce and funny. As they defiantly perform their gym-burning anthem, “Hate the Sport,” to a chorus of yawns and boos, the result is a fabulous disaster. It’s also pure punk anarchy. We Are the Best! is loud, crude, socially irresponsible and totally irrestistible.
We Are the Best!
- We Are the Best!
- Mira Barkhammar, Mira Grosin, Liv LeMoyne
- Directed by Lukas Moodysson
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Facts You Didn't Know About Back To The Future
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
- 'Ringo Nailed It': Paul McCartney Inducts Starr Into Rock Hall of Fame
- Green Day Pummel Rock Hall With Ecstatic Induction Ceremony Set
- New 'Fantastic Four' Trailer Hints at Impending Doom
- Campaign 2016: Hillary Clinton's Fake Populism Is a Hit
- Green Day Thank Vans, Fans, Rock & Roll at Hall of Fame: Read the Speech
- Read Ringo Starr's Jovial Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Speech
- Migos Members Arrested on Guns, Drugs Charges After Police End Concert
- Jon Stewart Opens Up About Leaving 'Daily Show'