This is a football movie, but good taste is the only thing that gets kicked around. Who would you pick to direct the true story (oh, those words!) of West Virginia's Marshall University football team, after all the players and the coaches (save one) are killed in a 1970 plane crash? Why, McG, of course, the auteur of Charlie's Angels and TV's The O.C. I gave Mr. G the benefit of the doubt until he amped up the treacle past the legal limit. Even the reliable Matthew McConaughey hams it to the hilt as the new coach, Jack Lengyel. Matthew Fox, as assistant coach Red Dawson, tries the old play that less is more. No go. Marshall deserved better than this misbegotten tribute.
We Are Marshall
- We Are Marshall
- Matthew McConaughey, David Strathairn, Anthony Mackie, Matthew Fox, Kate Mara
- Directed by McG
From The Archives Issue 340: April 2, 1981
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
- Bernie Sanders Fights On: The Rolling Stone Interview
- Prophets of Rage: Inside New RATM, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill Supergroup
- Where Did 'Alice Through the Looking Glass' Go Wrong?
- Booting Ass and Taking Names: Country's 20 Best Revenge Songs
- Bob Weir on Dead & Company's Future, John Mayer's 'Classicist' Style
- Green Party's Jill Stein on Why Bernie Sanders Should Go Third-Party
- Roger Daltrey on Wild Beatles Fans, Eddie Vedder, Teen Cancer Charity
- How Beatles' Game-Changing 'Paperback Writer' Paved Way for 'Revolver'