Madonna directs again! Oh, no! Oh, yes! A hard lesson should have been learned after Filth and Wisdom, but here's Madge one more time doing something for which she is eminently unsuited – directing. Madonna's tenacity deserves praise, unlike anything else in this torturously torpid costume drama, except the costumes which gleam with period elegance. There is an idea here. Madonna and co-screenwriter Alek Keshishian (director of Madonna: Truth or Dare) are telling the true story of Wallis Simpson (Andrea Riseborough, rising above the mud), the American socialite and divorce who King Edward VIII (James D'Arcy) gave up his throne to marry. W.E. stands for Wallis and Edward – get it? In last year's Oscar-winning The King's Speech, Eve Best and Guy Peace took those roles. Not content with going deeper into that bizarre romance, Madonna adds a new wrinkle in the form of a contemporary Manhattanite, Wally Winthrop (Abbie Cornish), who sees herself in the other Wally, prompting director Madonna to interlace their stories. By the time you realize you don't know what's going on you will have stopped caring. Consider that a mercy. To close the film, Madonna co-wrote a song, "Masterpiece," which won her a Golden Globe award. Elton John and his partner seemed irked by the choice. I'm irked at the title of song. Nothing having to do with W.E. has any right to be called "Masterpiece."
- Andrea Riseborough, Abbie Cornish
- Directed by Madonna
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
Guitar WorldThe 30 Most Badass Guitarists of All Time
DiffuserThe 10 Nastiest Feuds In Alternative Music
Mental Floss7 Movies That Sent People Running Out of Theaters
SalonTop 11 'SNL' Political Sketches Of All Time
CrackedThe 18 Most Baffling Lines Of Dialogue In Movie History
- There Is No Real Hillary Clinton
- Keith Richards on Getting Busted, Zeppelin and Stones’ Future
- Putin's Angels: Inside Russia's Most Infamous Motorcycle Club
- Sammy Hagar: 'If I Joined Van Halen Right Now, I'd Feel Like a Hypocrite'
- Wells Fargo's Master Spin Job
- Hear Grunge Supergroup Ten Commandos' 'Staring Down the Dust'
- Meet the Right-Wing Rebels Who Overthrew John Boehner
- Vote for the 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees