Madonna directs again! Oh, no! Oh, yes! A hard lesson should have been learned after Filth and Wisdom, but here's Madge one more time doing something for which she is eminently unsuited – directing. Madonna's tenacity deserves praise, unlike anything else in this torturously torpid costume drama, except the costumes which gleam with period elegance. There is an idea here. Madonna and co-screenwriter Alek Keshishian (director of Madonna: Truth or Dare) are telling the true story of Wallis Simpson (Andrea Riseborough, rising above the mud), the American socialite and divorce who King Edward VIII (James D'Arcy) gave up his throne to marry. W.E. stands for Wallis and Edward – get it? In last year's Oscar-winning The King's Speech, Eve Best and Guy Peace took those roles. Not content with going deeper into that bizarre romance, Madonna adds a new wrinkle in the form of a contemporary Manhattanite, Wally Winthrop (Abbie Cornish), who sees herself in the other Wally, prompting director Madonna to interlace their stories. By the time you realize you don't know what's going on you will have stopped caring. Consider that a mercy. To close the film, Madonna co-wrote a song, "Masterpiece," which won her a Golden Globe award. Elton John and his partner seemed irked by the choice. I'm irked at the title of song. Nothing having to do with W.E. has any right to be called "Masterpiece."
- Andrea Riseborough, Abbie Cornish
- Directed by Madonna
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Facts You Didn't Know About Back To The Future
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
- Being Ringo: A Beatle's All-Starr Life
- Hear Slayer's Eerie New Crusher 'When the Stillness Comes'
- Black Sabbath's Bill Ward: 'I Don't Know If I'm a Member'
- Tim McGraw's Sandy Hook Show Sparks Controversy, Billy Currington Bails
- Campaign 2016: Hillary Clinton's Fake Populism Is a Hit
- Watch John Krasinski Nail N'Sync's 'Bye Bye Bye' on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Dave Grohl on First Foo Fighters Show: 'I Was F--king Mortified'
- Green Day Return to the Stage With Raucous, Career-Spanning Cleveland Gig