Kirby Dick's indispensable guerrilla attack on the film-ratings system gives Hollywood a swift, smart and hilarious kick in its institutional, hypocritical ass. Since the Motion Picture Association of America, which operates the ratings board in conjunction with the National Association of Theater Owners, is more secretive than the CIA, Dick used unorthodox methods to get his story. He hired two female detectives to spy on — some would say stalk — execs of this private club and reveal their identities. He interviews filmmakers, from Boys Don't Cry's Kimberly Peirce to South Park's Matt Stone, to show how the ratings gurus come down hard on indie films with graphic sexual content, especially if it's gay, and ease up on costlier movies from major studios, which basically pay their salaries. Though the rotating raters are not supposed to offer advice on what scenes to cut to dodge the box-office-killing NC-17 rating, Dick finds them doing just that. Violence gets off easy. From the evidence here, it's OK to show a guy hack up a babe, but not OK to show him go down on her. The sham goes on with illustrative samples from censored scenes that will prove eye-opening in more ways than one.
This Film is Not Yet Rated
- This Film is Not Yet Rated
- John Waters, Kevin Smith, Matt Stone, Kimberly Peirce, Atom Egoyan
- Directed by Kirby Dick
From The Archives Issue 434: November 8, 1984
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Cracked6 Bands That Reinvented Themselves To Get Famous
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Alice Cooper on His Dinner With David Bowie and Ray Bradbury
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- How J.J. Abrams and Hulu Brought Stephen King's '11.22.63' to TV
- Coldplay's Chris Martin Gets Personal: Inside the New Issue
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Ranking the Super Bowl 50 Movie Trailers
- 25 Musicians 'Feeling the Bern' for Bernie Sanders