Sam Peckinpah Lives! The Rampaging spirit of the late filmmaker, known as Bloody Sam for films such as The Wild Bunch and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, is all over this blistering modern Western from first-time director Tommy Lee Jones. It took Jones a while - he's pushing sixty - to get behind the camera, but he fills every frame of his debut with the ferocity and feeling of his best screen performances. Add his role as Texas ranch foreman Pete Perkins to that gallery. Jones took the best-actor prize at Cannes, and Guillermo Arriaga (Amores Perros, 21 Grams) won for his potent and provocative script. Arriaga builds a simple plot -Pete is determined to bring the body of his murdered friend Melquiades Estrada (Julio Cesar Cedillo) to his Mexican home for burial - into a scathing attack on inhumanity as timely as Abu Ghraib. Pete drags along Mike Norton (a superb Barry Pepper), the border-patrol cop who shot Melquiades, and forces him to care for the rotting corpse. Encompassing characters that include Mike's hottie wife (January Jones), a married waitress (Melissa Leo) who's been shacking up with Pete, and a sheriff (Dwight Yoakam) who thinks the rights of a Mexican illegal aren't worth a piss, the film slaps you hard with its brutality and gallows humor and then locates compassion in the unlikeliest of places. Jones shakes you in ways you do not see coming. His movie is a powder keg.
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
- The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
- Tommy Lee Jones, Barry Pepper, Dwight Yoakam
- Directed by Tommy Lee Jones
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked6 TV Spin-Off Story Lines That Ruined The Originals
Guitar WorldThe 20 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
DiffuserRock Stars' Kids Who Rock
Mental Floss21 Things You Might Not Know About 'Dazed and Confused'
Diffuser11 Pop Songs Written by Rock Musicians
Cracked5 Cover Songs Better Than The Original
- The Endless Fall of Suge Knight
- Grateful Dead End 50-Year Career With Moving, Magnificent Final Show
- Van Halen Play Nice, Shred Hard at High-Energy Tour Opener
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Obama Is on a Roll, But Is His Presidency?
- The Grateful Dead Say Farewell: The View From the Bowl
- Hear Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' Sung in 20 Different Styles
- 25 Best Modern Exploitation Movies