Gong Li, 27, has a shining talent that transcends language barriers. In her fifth film for renegade Chinese director Zhang Yimou, she gives her best performance yet. Her last two films for Zhang --- Ju Dou and Raise the Red Lantern --- were period pieces with a contemporary political subtext. They were also strongly erotic. The only red-hot items this time are the rows or chili peppers drying in the small village where the pregnant Qiu Ju (Gong Li) lives with her farmer husband (Liu Pei Qi). This is Zhang's first look at peasant life in modern China. It's an enthralling film of startling passion and bite --- remarkable considering that it was made during the repression that followed Tiananmen Square. Gong Li plays against the image of the submissive Chinese woman. It's Qiu Ju who rebukes the village leader for beating her husband so badly that he can't work. It's Qiu Ju who travels to town to demand justice from a vast bureaucracy. Using hidden cameras and many nonactors, Zhang presents a vivid picture of the new China. As Qiu Ju measures her standard of justice against the law's, the story achieves the spare clarity and power of a fable. In the last close-up, humanity and ideology clash on Qiu Ju's haunted face. This is an actress and a movie you won't forget.
The Story of Qiu Ju
- The Story of Qiu Ju
- Li Gong, Peiqi Liu, Liuchun Yang
- Directed by Yimou Zhang
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Facts You Didn't Know About Back To The Future
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
- Being Ringo: A Beatle's All-Starr Life
- Hear Slayer's Eerie New Crusher 'When the Stillness Comes'
- Black Sabbath's Bill Ward: 'I Don't Know If I'm a Member'
- Tim McGraw's Sandy Hook Show Sparks Controversy, Billy Currington Bails
- Campaign 2016: Hillary Clinton's Fake Populism Is a Hit
- Dave Grohl on First Foo Fighters Show: 'I Was F--king Mortified'
- Watch John Krasinski Nail N'Sync's 'Bye Bye Bye' on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Green Day Return to the Stage With Raucous, Career-Spanning Cleveland Gig