Gong Li, 27, has a shining talent that transcends language barriers. In her fifth film for renegade Chinese director Zhang Yimou, she gives her best performance yet. Her last two films for Zhang --- Ju Dou and Raise the Red Lantern --- were period pieces with a contemporary political subtext. They were also strongly erotic. The only red-hot items this time are the rows or chili peppers drying in the small village where the pregnant Qiu Ju (Gong Li) lives with her farmer husband (Liu Pei Qi). This is Zhang's first look at peasant life in modern China. It's an enthralling film of startling passion and bite --- remarkable considering that it was made during the repression that followed Tiananmen Square. Gong Li plays against the image of the submissive Chinese woman. It's Qiu Ju who rebukes the village leader for beating her husband so badly that he can't work. It's Qiu Ju who travels to town to demand justice from a vast bureaucracy. Using hidden cameras and many nonactors, Zhang presents a vivid picture of the new China. As Qiu Ju measures her standard of justice against the law's, the story achieves the spare clarity and power of a fable. In the last close-up, humanity and ideology clash on Qiu Ju's haunted face. This is an actress and a movie you won't forget.
The Story of Qiu Ju
- The Story of Qiu Ju
- Li Gong, Peiqi Liu, Liuchun Yang
- Directed by Yimou Zhang
From The Archives Issue 654: April 15, 1993
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
SpinThe 50 Best Rock Bands Right Now
Mental FlossWhere Are 10 Key Players in The O.J. Simpson Trial Now?
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' Album Livestream
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Rick Rubin: My Life in 21 Songs
- The Koch Brothers' Dirty War on Solar Power
- Bruce Springsteen's 'The River': Steven Van Zandt Looks Back
- Kanye West Announces Album's Final Title, 'The Life of Pablo,' Track List
- See New Video for Jeff Buckley's Smiths Cover 'I Know It's Over'
- Ring of Honor's Declaration of Independence