This may be the most despairing college sex comedy ever, which is apt since director Roger Avary is adapting the 1987 novel by Bret Easton Ellis, who is (thankfully) not an American Pie kind of guy. James Van Der Beek kills off wimpy Dawson as Sean Bateman (brother of Ellis' American Psycho), a dealer looking for any orifice where "I can stick my half-aroused animal member." Ian Somerhalder is Paul Denton, gay and looking to do Sean. Shannyn Sossamon is Lauren, a virgin who gets gangbanged. And Kip Pardue is Victor, who narrates a fast-cut sequence about his European vacation that had me on the floor. Rules needs that dose of hilarity. Ellis' satire, filtered through Avary's harsh lens, is hard to stomach, harder to ignore.
The Rules of Attraction
- The Rules of Attraction
- Ian Somerhalder, James Van Der Beek, Shannyn Sossamon, Jessica Biel, Thomas Ian Nicholas
- Directed by Roger Avary
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportThe Worst Picks in NFL Draft History
Men's Journal12 Things Every Man Should Know About His Penis
Cracked28 Great Movie Moments Created By Ignoring The Script
Men's Journal10 Sexual Hygiene Tips for Better Sex
Cinema BlendTop 10 Grossest TV Moments
- How Legendary Tattoo Artist Jonathan Shaw Became the Next Bukowski
- George Clinton: Doctor Atomic
- Hear Alternate Version of Rolling Stones' 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking'
- Tatiana Maslany on That Emmys Snub and Playing Nine Roles on 'Orphan Black'
- DaveWatch: Countdown to Letterman's Last 'Late Show,' Day 18
- 11 Things We Learned From Bruce Jenner's Coming Out Interview
- Gary Clark Jr. Previews 'Dope' New Album
- The Force Awakens: 'Star Wars' Superfan Chris Conley Goes to the NFL Draft