This may be the most despairing college sex comedy ever, which is apt since director Roger Avary is adapting the 1987 novel by Bret Easton Ellis, who is (thankfully) not an American Pie kind of guy. James Van Der Beek kills off wimpy Dawson as Sean Bateman (brother of Ellis' American Psycho), a dealer looking for any orifice where "I can stick my half-aroused animal member." Ian Somerhalder is Paul Denton, gay and looking to do Sean. Shannyn Sossamon is Lauren, a virgin who gets gangbanged. And Kip Pardue is Victor, who narrates a fast-cut sequence about his European vacation that had me on the floor. Rules needs that dose of hilarity. Ellis' satire, filtered through Avary's harsh lens, is hard to stomach, harder to ignore.
The Rules of Attraction
- The Rules of Attraction
- Ian Somerhalder, James Van Der Beek, Shannyn Sossamon, Jessica Biel, Thomas Ian Nicholas
- Directed by Roger Avary
From The Archives Issue 908: October 31, 2002
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- The Point of No Return: Climate Change Nightmares Are Already Here
- Conservative Heads Explode Over Kentucky's Bigoted County Clerk
- Keith Richards: Rap Is for 'Tone-Deaf People'
- Alice Cooper and Joe Perry on Hollywood Vampires' Drunk History
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Watch Slayer and Danny Trejo Film Gore-Drenched Video at L.A. Prison
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
- How Coheed and Cambria Broke Concept-Album Streak on New LP