The pickings are slim for scares this Halloween season (Ghost Ship, Below), so The Ring wins first prize by default. Gore Verbinski's Hollywood remake of Hideo Nakata's Ringu — a 1998 cult smash in Japan — creeps you out in high style, even if Nakata did it better. The plot is the same: There's this cursed videotape (no, it's not a bootleg of Madonna's Swept Away). You watch it. The phone rings. A voice says, "Seven days." That means you have a week to live. Seattle reporter Rachel Keller decides to investigate. Luckily, she's played by Mulholland Drive sorceress Naomi Watts, who keeps you glued to the screen even when Verbinski (The Mexican, yuck) lets the suspense slacken and screenwriter Ehren Kruger (Arlington Road, no yuck there) gives her nothing to play. Rachel's weird, Haley Joel Osment-ish son (David Dorfman) and techie boyfriend (Martin Henderson) feel like filler. But the tape itself, featuring a longhaired girl child, is the stuff of nightmares. p>or a real "bad dream" movie, rent the Japanese version. Or hit your video store for other crazy-Freddy Krueger-guru scare-athons: There's Cronos, from Mexico's Guillermo del Toro. Or Suspiria, from Italy's Dario Argento. Or The Vanishing, from Holland's George Sluizer. Or Black Christmas, from America's Bob Clark — it's the least-known and scariest stranger-in-the-house thriller anywhere. Find it. You have seven days.
- The Ring
- Naomi Watts, David Dorfman, Rachael Bella, Daveigh Chase, Martin Henderson
- Directed by Gore Verbinski
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportWhat It's Like to Be in Mayweather's Entourage
Men's JournalDo Men Suck at Friendship?
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema BlendTop 10 Steamiest Sex Scenes
- Watch Terry Crews Punch Out Mike Tyson on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Watch Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jon Stewart Debate Superman vs. Batman
- Motley Crue on Rock Hall Chances and Why Bands Need Retirement Contracts
- Navajo Actress Explains Why She Left Adam Sandler 'Ridiculous 6' Set
- Waka Flocka Flame for President: Watch His Exclusive Campaign Video
- 10 Things We Learned From Johnny Rotten's 'Uncensored' New Memoir
- Joan Jett: Built to Rock
- Waka Flocka Flame for President, Day Two: This Is Not a Joke