Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Animal, Fozzie Bear and the other Muppets haven't been onscreen in ages. Their creator, Jim Henson, died in 1990. And Frank Oz, the immortal voice of Piggy and Fozzie, declined to participate. So the challenge Disney has with The Muppets is to show a new generation what the fuss was all about. Slam-dunk. Jason Segel, the full-frontal star of Forgetting Sarah Marshall, co-wrote the script with Get Him to the Greek's Nicholas Stoller. And that's James Bobin of HBO's Flight of the Conchords in the director's chair. R-rated talent with their hands up the Muppets? Whaaat! Take a breath. The new movie never crosses its PG parameters. What it does, enchantingly, is to set a Muppet fan named Gary (Segel) on a journey from Smalltown USA to Hollywood to find out what happened to our felt friends. Gary brings along his girlfriend, Mary (Amy Adams), and his brother, Walter, who looks like Gary in Muppet form. They need to stop an oil baron (Chris Cooper) from destroying the Muppet studios. Solution? Televise a Muppet reunion. The setup works like a charm. So do the songs, with several new ones by Conchords star Bret McKenzie. Adams rocks out on "Me Party." And Segel's heartfelt ballad "Man or Muppet?" deserves Academy attention as the movie song of the year. But it's Kermie, Piggy and the gang who rightly steal the show. The Muppets slaps a smile on your face you won't want to wipe off.
- The Muppets
- Jason Segel, Amy Adams
- Directed by James Bobin
From The Archives Issue 1145: December 8, 2011
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Cracked6 Bands That Reinvented Themselves To Get Famous
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- Watch Triumph the Insult Comic Dog Slam Politically Correct Youth Voters
- How Metallica's Kirk Hammett Is Redefining the Sound of Guitar
- Stephen King on 'Dark Tower' Movie: 'It's Likely to Happen'
- DMX Hospitalized in Stable Condition After Collapse
- Max Weinberg on 'River' Tour, What He Learned From Bruce Springsteen
- Watch Blue Jean Committee Help Hall & Oates Announce Summer Tour