Long on fun and ballsy action it's sweet to see Burt Reynolds lord over this remake of his 1974 hit about an NFL screw-up who gets railroaded into jail and forced into a killer game of inmates vs. guards. Reynolds, a former Florida State tailback, was born to play MVP Paul Crewe. Not so Adam Sandler. As Paul, the former water boy lacks the pro look. But this isn't docudrama. It's a mean, lean laugh machine. Reynolds eases into the role of Nate, an aging convict doing time and making time to help Sandler learn the ropes at a Texas prison, where the warden (James Cromwell in full sleaze) wants Paul to train the cons and then throw the big game to the guards, led by a vividly sadistic William Fichtner. Sandler is a hoot as hard-ass Paul, disgraced in a point-shaving scam and jailed for stealing a Bentley belonging to his girl (Courteney Cox). At the urging of Caretaker (Chris Rock, scoring touchdowns with one-liners), Paul trains a team that includes Nelly (the rapper can act) and Michael Irvin (the former Dallas Cowboy can act too). Tracy Morgan, in drag, runs the cheerleading squad, prompting the ass-rape jokes you expect in a Sandler flick. In 1974, Reynolds and director Robert Aldrich stuck it to the system with R-rated relish. In the PG-13 redo, Sandler and director Peter Segal (50 First Dates) go broader and sillier, though the murder of a major character is still a shocker. What links the two films in fun and ferocity is the big game, a ripsnorter that is irresistibly entertaining.
The Longest Yard
- The Longest Yard
- Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Burt Reynolds, William Fichtner, James Cromwell
- Directed by Peter Segal
From The Archives Issue 367: April 15, 1982
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental Floss10 Artists Who Hated Their Biggest Hit
Guitar WorldThe 25 Greatest Acoustic Songs In Hard Rock
VultureThe 30 Most Important Sex Scenes in Movie History
Salon10 Songs With Hidden Drug References
TestTubeHow Much Sex Should You Be Having?
Mental Floss15 Things You Didn’t Know About 'The Godfather'
- 100 Greatest Bob Dylan Songs
- See Radiohead Play 'Creep' Live For First Time in Seven Years
- Motley Crue's Tommy Lee: The Exit Interview
- Watch Jennifer Lawrence, John Oliver Play True Confessions With Jimmy Fallon
- 'Uncharted 4' Director Neil Druckmann on Nathan Drake, Sexism in Games
- Will Virtual Reality Change Your Life?
- 10 Best 'Saturday Night Live' Sketches From Season 41
- R.I.P., GOP: How Trump Is Killing the Republican Party