A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down. But that's the only hint of Mary Poppins you'll find in Peter Berg's geopolitical thriller, with an emphasis on the thrills. The sugar for Berg, a genuine wild man, is action, and he heaps it on as FBI special agent Ronald Fleury (Jamie Foxx at his cool, mofo best) leads his team into Saudi Arabia to find the culprits behind a terrorist attack on a compound housing American oil-company employees and their families. The Saudi ambassador has given them only five days to investigate, and a U.S. diplomat (Jeremy Piven) would rather they just do a photo op and slink out. But Fleury is not one for slinking. With the help of an explosives expert (a forceful Chris Cooper), an intelligence analyst (Jason Bateman, nailing all of his smart-mouthed one-liners) and a forensics whiz (Jennifer Garner, never mind the sexy, she means business), Fleury goes John Wayne on their ass. Berg (Friday Night Lights) stages every ambush, gun battle and car chase as if his life depends on it. The Kingdom could have been a jingoistic CSI: Riyadh, and sometimes it is. Matthew Michael Carnahan's caffeinated script isn't much concerned with balance, but it gets some anyway, from the resonant images of culture clash that Berg catches on the fly and a remarkable performance from Ashraf Barhom, whose ravaged, sorrowful face as the Saudi police chief Al-Ghazi is a human map of the complex issues at stake.
- The Kingdom
- Jamie Foxx, Colin Farrell, Chris Cooper, Jason Bateman, Tom Bresnahan
- Directed by Peter Berg
From The Archives Issue 399: July 7, 1983
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind the Scenes
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died at Age 27
Mental Floss33 Surprising Stories Behind Famous Songs
Screen Rant10 Decisions That Ruined Movies
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- Jimmy Carter: U.S. Is an 'Oligarchy With Unlimited Political Bribery'
- 'True Detective' Recap: Burning Down the House
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Eminem Reveals How Drug Use Led to Weight Gain, Recovery
- Foo Fighters Promise to Visit Italian Town After Viral Video
- Dr. Dre Details Long-Awaited 'Compton: A Soundtrack'
- Ronda Rousey: The World's Most Dangerous Woman