The first Hobbit was quite a success at the box office ($1 billion worldwide). But if we're being honest, we'd admit it was a little boring and a lot long, at 169 minutes. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is a little less long and a little less boring. That's because after two hours of setup involving Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) as he hobbits along with the wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and 13 dwarves, led by Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage), to win back the Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, the dragon shows up. This Smaug is a dragon to die for. Director Peter Jackson performs the same kind of miracles with the digital Smaug that he did with Gollum in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Immortally voiced by Andy Serkis, Gollum seduced and scared you in equal doses. Ditto Smaug. As a digital creation, Smaug is a bloody wonder of slithering fright. And Benedict Cumberbatch gives him a voice to match. The scenes between Smaug and Bilbo imbue this bloated 3D movie with a sense of character and purpose. As before, there's a ton of padding. Orlando Bloom's Legolas shows up out of nowhere, surely not out of J.R.R. Tolkien's slender novel. And the elf warrior Tauriel (Evangeline Lilly) is pure invention. But, oh, that dragon. I'd endure another slog through Middle-Earth just to spend more time with Smaug.
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
- Martin Freeman
- Directed by Peter Jackson
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
AskMenThe Top 99 Outstanding Women of 2015
Men's Journal12 Things Every Man Should Know About His Penis
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most ‘Elite’ Sex Party
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
Salon5 Mysteries We Hope the “X-Files” Reboot Will Resolve
Cinema Blend10 Great Movies To Watch Before Netflix Gets Rid Of Them On April 1
- The Children of ISIS
- Rihanna Asserts Her Dominance on New Song 'Bitch Better Have My Money'
- Sara Evans Blasts Fox's 'Last Man on Earth': 'I Was Thoroughly Disgusted'
- Roger Daltrey: 'I Want Us to Stop at the Top of Our Game'
- Flashback: The Unedited 'Boats 'N Hoes' Video From 'Step Brothers'
- One Direction Members Respond to Zayn Malik's Exit
- Dr. Dre Talks N.W.A Biopic, Eazy-E's Death, Eminem and Making New Music
- Andy Summers on the Police: 'We Were the Most Desirable Men in the World'