A boy dies in a car crash just after having sex for the first time, leaving his girlfriend scared and alone. Sounds like a recipe for a soapy Lifetime movie. Which The Greatest could well have been without a riveting cast that plays it for real. Carey Mulligan, an Oscar nominee for An Education, is wonderfully appealing as Rose, the girl who rings the doorbell of the dead boy's parents, Allen Brewer (Pierce Brosnan) and his wife, Grace (Susan Sarandon), and announces that she's three months pregnant. They take her in, Grace resentfully and Allen with a sense of hope. In flashbacks, we see the tentative courtship of Rose and the boy (the excellent Aaron Johnson). But the bruised heart of the movie is uncovered as Rose tries to build a picture of a boy she barely knew from the memories of his family, including his younger brother (Johnny Simmons). First-time director-writer Shana Feste, covering a trail indelibly blazed by Ordinary People, sometimes lets her foray into the spiky corners of grief spill into melodrama. The actors never do. Sarandon nails every nuance as the alienated mom. And Brosnan, on a roll with this film and The Ghost Writer, vividly etches the emotional fissures in a man coming apart. The Greatest takes a piece out of you.
- The Greatest
- Carey Mulligan, Pierce Brosnan, Susan Sarandon
- Directed by Shana Feste
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Facts You Didn't Know About Back To The Future
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
- Watch Batman and Superman Clash in New 'Dawn of Justice' Trailer
- Being Ringo: A Beatle's All-Starr Life
- Hear Slayer's Eerie New Crusher 'When the Stillness Comes'
- Black Sabbath's Bill Ward: 'I Don't Know If I'm a Member'
- The Dukes of Oxy: How a Band of Teen Wrestlers Built a Smuggling Empire
- Campaign 2016: Hillary Clinton's Fake Populism Is a Hit
- Record Store Day 2015: The Ultimate Guide
- Dave Grohl on First Foo Fighters Show: 'I Was F--king Mortified'