The Catholic League thinks it's anti-Catholic. Admirers of Philip Pullman's 1995 His Dark Materials trilogy, of which The Golden Compass is the first part, think Chris Weitz's film guts the backbone of the book. Me, I just think it blows. What does it matter if you spend millions on a movie – love the talking, battling bears! – if the effects are cheesy, the story runs off on tangents and after watching the movie fail utterly to be the next Lord of the Rings, you just want to go home. One wag said Nicole Kidman looked like "a Botoxed Marilyn Monroe" playing Mrs. Coulter, the slinky villainess who does terrible things to children to separate them from their souls, which take the form of furry animals called daemons. Are you with me? Didn't think so. Anyway, Kidman was way nastier in Margot at the Wedding. She and co-star Daniel (007) Craig strike as many sexual sparks as they did in The Invasion, which was none. The studio is threatening two sequels. Please make them stop.
The Golden Compass
- The Golden Compass
- Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, Dakota Blue Richards
- Directed by Chris Weitz
From The Archives Issue 1042: December 27, 2007
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Cracked6 Bands That Reinvented Themselves To Get Famous
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- 40 Greatest TV Villains of All Time
- 'Daily Show' Defends Beyonce's Super Bowl Performance, Slams Haters
- Watch the Tanner Family Reunite in First 'Fuller House' Trailer
- Stephen King on 'Dark Tower' Movie: 'It's Likely to Happen'
- Alice Cooper on His Dinner With David Bowie and Ray Bradbury
- Watch Seal, Ewan McGregor, Gary Oldman Lead David Bowie Tribute