Richly deserving of the Oscar nomination it recently received as Best Foreign-Language film, Laurent Cantet's scrappy mesmerizer of a movie about a life in learning sneaks up and floors you. The film is based on an autobiographical novel by François Bégaudeau, a French schoolteacher who grapples with junior-high students in a racially mixed section of France. Though Cantet shoots the film documentary style, Bégaudeau, as Francois Marin, is actually playing a fictionalized version of himself — and doing it superbly by the way. The actors are actual students playing at being themselves — also doing it superbly. Using mobile high-definition cameras that prowl around the classroom like proverbial flies on the wall, Cantet achieves a rare immediacy. There are times when fists fly as fast as the arguments and you want to duck. Over the course of a year with this teacher, flawed and conflicted in ways that Hollywood would run from, The Class creates a frenzy of bad behavior, divided loyalties and hard won compromise — a parallel universe that looks very much like our own. The premise that all life is high school has never seemed as scarily true and oddly hopeful then it does here. Fierce, funny and moving, The Class graduates with honors. It's unmissable. Absentees will be punished.
- The Class
- Francois Begaudeau
- Directed by Laurent Cantet
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportWhat It's Like to Be in Mayweather's Entourage
Men's JournalDo Men Suck at Friendship?
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema BlendTop 10 Steamiest Sex Scenes
- Watch Terry Crews Punch Out Mike Tyson on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Watch Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jon Stewart Debate Superman vs. Batman
- Secrets of 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': Joss Whedon Tells All
- Motley Crue on Rock Hall Chances and Why Bands Need Retirement Contracts
- Navajo Actress Explains Why She Left Adam Sandler 'Ridiculous 6' Set
- 10 Things We Learned From Johnny Rotten's 'Uncensored' New Memoir
- Watch System of a Down's First Ever Armenian Show
- Waka Flocka Flame for President: Watch His Exclusive Campaign Video