Disney's spirited re-telling of Rapunzel in 3D animation turns out to be a dazzler. You know the drill from the brothers Grimm — Princess Rapunzel (voiced by a sassy Mandy Moore) is kidnapped from her royal parents by an old crone who traps her in a tower and uses her long golden hair to stay young and badass. Donna Murphy's vocal performance as the adopted parent from hell is to die for, and her singing of the Alan Menken/Glenn Slater anthem "Mother Knows Best" is comic bliss with a sting in its tail. Zachary Levi does a nice job as the thief who rescues the princess, and, call me a sucker, but I fell hard for Maximus the horse and Pascal the frog. Still, it's Rapunzel growing up to out-diva her mommie dearest that kept me glued. Directors Byron Howard and Nathan Greno don't reinvent the animation wheel in the Pixar manner, but they get the job done with style and wit to spare.
- Mandy Moore, Donna Murphy
- Directed by Nathan Greno and Byron Howard
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonThe 19 Greatest Double Entendre Songs
VultureAll 169 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked from Worst to Best
Guitar WorldThe 20 Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Mental Floss8 Classic Movie Props That Were Tossed in the Trash
Cracked7 Insane Things TV Shows Did When They Ran Out Of Money
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Watch Metallica's 'The Night Before' Pre-Super Bowl Concert Live
- Watch Coldplay, Beyonce's Colorful 'Hymn for the Weekend' Video
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- Will 'Waves' Be Kanye West's First Disappointing Album?
- Zola Tells All: The Real Story Behind the Greatest Stripper Saga Ever Tweeted
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Cover David Bowie at Bernie Sanders Fundraiser