Dana Brown's Step Into Liquid is the best surfing documentary ever made. And that includes 1966's The Endless Summer and its terrific 1994 sequel — both from Bruce Brown, Dana's father. But even if you never thought of surfing yourself and have no truck with the guilty surfing pleasures on display in the fictional Point Break and Blue Crush, this movie will grab you. For starters, it's drop-dead dazzlingly knockout beautiful. And you don't have to know the names of such star surfers as Laird Hamilton, Kelly Slater or Ken "Skindog" Collins to enjoy the view.rown and director of photography John-Paul Beeghly, shooting at places typical (SoCal) and far out (Vietnam, Ireland), have captured tremendously exciting footage. Water hasn't looked this scary and inviting onscreen since Finding Nemo, and that stuff is animated. Are you listening, landlubbers?
Step Into Liquid
- Step Into Liquid
- Rochelle Ballard, Shawn Barron, Layne Beachley, Jesse Brad Billauer, Taj Burrow
- Directed by Dana Brown
From The Archives Issue 231: January 27, 1977
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonThe 19 Greatest Double Entendre Songs
VultureAll 169 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked from Worst to Best
Guitar WorldThe 20 Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Cracked7 Insane Things TV Shows Did When They Ran Out Of Money
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- The Vampire Squid Tells Us How to Vote
- Watch Lady Gaga Perform Stirring National Anthem at Super Bowl 50
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- Larry David on 'SNL': 3 Sketches You Have to See
- Watch Coldplay, Beyonce's Colorful 'Hymn for the Weekend' Video
- See Larry David's 'Bern Your Enthusiasm' 'SNL' Parody