Some actors don't need top-shelf material. Just the pleasure of their company is enough. And so Al Pacino, Christopher Walken and Alan Arkin turn the insubstantial Stand Up Guys into solid entertainment. Just watching them riff off one another like a prized jazz combo is a kick. There's Pacino as Val, released from prison after 28 years, but still a target of crime lord Claphands (Mark Margolis), who blames Val for a botched job that killed his son. Claphands sends Doc (Walken) to pop a cap in Val's ass. But Doc, an old crime buddy of Val's and in his debt for an uncollected favor, is reluctant to pull the trigger. He treats Val to a night in a whorehouse that, of course, requires Viagra (insert cringe). Saving Val requires a meet-up with Hirsch (Arkin), their former getaway driver. Director Fisher Stevens dances ably around the holes in the script by Noah Haidle, but there's no need. Not with these guys around. Arkin is a master of the slow burn. Pacino shows off shamelessly. And Walken's deadpan is a constant delight. "What?" he says when Val expresses dismay at hitman Doc's newly quiet life. "I got cable." Priceless.
Stand Up Guys
- Stand Up Guys
- Al Pacino, Christopher Walken, Alan Arkin
- Directed by Fisher Stevens
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast20 Things You Didn’t Know About Pulp Fiction
SalonThe 13 Most Cringeworthy Sex Scenes in ‘Girls’
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most Elite Sex Party
Salon10 Songs with Hidden Drug References
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
- 15 Best Lines From Justin Bieber's Roast
- Bloodied Van Halen Play Wild, Reckless Set on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
- Rolling Stones Announce Summer Tour, 'Sticky Fingers' Reissue
- 10 Things We Learned From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'
- 5 Things We Learned From 'Walking Dead''s Season 5 Finale
- 'WWE Raw': Brock Lesnar vs. the World
- Hear Leonard Cohen Cover George Jones' 'Choices' at a Stunning Soundcheck
- Jason Beghe: The TV Tough Guy Who Took on Scientology