Kerry Conran, computer geek turned first-time writer and director, puts actors in front of a blank screen and fills in the rest digitally. Problem One: The actors, including Jude Law as Sky Captain and Gwyneth Paltrow as his sassy reporter-love, look lost. Only Angelina Jolie, as an eye-patched pilot, doesn't seem to mind as the of two Lara Croft epics, she's used to acting in a vacuum. Problem Two: The plot is a World War II-era cut-and-paste job that raids Steven Spielberg's Lost Ark and steals at will from the classic movie serials. Robots invade New York. Law's hero must save the world and find Dr. Evil, here Dr. Totenkopf. Problem Three: Laurence Olivier, who died in 1989, has been cruelly resurrected from old films to play Totenkopf. Yuck. Problem Four: The dialogue is corny beyond the excuse of homage. "You won't need those high heels where we're going," says Law to Paltrow. Problem Five: It's a gimmick, it's not a movie.
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
- Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie, Giovanni Ribisi, Bai Ling
- Directed by Kerry Conran
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportThe Worst Picks in NFL Draft History
Men's Journal12 Things Every Man Should Know About His Penis
Cracked28 Great Movie Moments Created By Ignoring The Script
Men's Journal10 Sexual Hygiene Tips for Better Sex
Cinema BlendTop 10 Grossest TV Moments
- George Clinton: Doctor Atomic
- Watch Jason Isbell Pay Tribute to Warren Zevon on 'Letterman'
- Hear Pete Townshend's Orchestral Remake of the Who's 'Love, Reign O'er Me'
- 'Game of Thrones' Recap: Sins of the Flesh
- Neil Young and Stephen Stills Light Up the Stage at L.A. Autism Benefit
- Tatiana Maslany on That Emmys Snub and Playing Nine Roles on 'Orphan Black'
- Robert Plant, Alison Krauss Honor Folk Great Lead Belly
- DaveWatch: Countdown to Letterman's Last 'Late Show,' Day 19