Denzel Washington is way too fine an actor to hide his talents in standard-issue action claptrap like Safe House. As the film drags on, the mischievous glint in Washington's eyes grows dim as if he, like us, is fighting to stay awake. Who can blame him? Washington plays Tobin Frost, a rogue CIA agent sent to a safe house in Cape Town, South Africa, where a newbie agent, Matt Weston (Ryan Reynolds), is meant to slap him down to size on the orders of bosses played by Vera Farmiga, Brendan Gleeson, Sam Shepard, who each have the grace to look embarrassed. Swedish director Daniel Espinonza lays on lots of flashy editing that can't begin to disguise the fact that we can see every twist coming. Worse, Safe House asks us to believe that Ryan Reynolds can outclass Denzel Washington in the art of being a hard-ass. Not on this planet, baby.
- Safe House
- Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds
- Directed by Daniel Espinoza
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Diffuser15 Disturbing Songs People Love
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Mental FlossWhere Are 10 Key Players in The O.J. Simpson Trial Now?
SpinThe 101 Best Kanye West-Produced Songs That Don’t Feature Kanye
TestTubeHow Much Sex Should You Be Having?
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- British Indie Band Viola Beach Killed in Car Accident
- 'Silence of the Lambs' at 25: The Complete Buffalo Bill Story
- The Koch Brothers' Dirty War on Solar Power
- 35 WTF Moments From the Craziest GOP Debate Yet
- Republican Hopefuls Utterly Implode in Most Entertaining Debate Yet
- Watch Kanye West Debut 'Pablo' Tracks, Rap Battle on 'SNL'
- 10 Things That Piss Off Tom Petty