Why in hell is Queens-born David Schwimmer making his directing debut with a British farce? Damned if I know. But the Friends star has a welcome eye for laughs that sneak in around familiar corners. It's also a big comic boost that Simon Pegg, the offbeat star of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, plays Dennis, a security guard in a lingerie shop. Five years earlier, dumbass Dennis ditched his pregnant fiancée, Libby (gorgeous Thandie Newton), at the altar. Now she's about to marry Whit (Hank Azaria), a rich American. Desperate to win Libby back, Dennis competes against Whit in a London charity marathon to prove he can man up. "I'm not fat," Dennis insists, "I'm unfit." So's the plot, which sparks only when Schwimmer spins knockabout variations on it. The funniest scenes are between Pegg and Dylan Moran as Dennis' swanning BFF, Gordon, who always seems to have his bare ass showing. Even the Farrellys might gag when a lanced blister on Dennis' foot sprays its infected goo smack in Gordon's face. "That's the second-most-disgusting fluid I've ever had in my eye," says Gordon. You get my drift. And even if you don't, Run, Fat Boy, Run stays out of sitcom quicksand long enough to make you think that Schwimmer has a knack for this comedy-directing thing.
Run, Fat Boy, Run
- Run, Fat Boy, Run
- Simon Pegg, Hank Azaria, Ameet Chana, Dylan Moran, Thandie Newton
- Directed by David Schwimmer
From The Archives Issue 243: July 14, 1977
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental Floss10 Artists Who Hated Their Biggest Hit
Guitar WorldThe 25 Greatest Acoustic Songs In Hard Rock
VultureThe 30 Most Important Sex Scenes in Movie History
Salon10 Songs With Hidden Drug References
TestTubeHow Much Sex Should You Be Having?
Mental Floss15 Things You Didn’t Know About 'The Godfather'
- 100 Greatest Bob Dylan Songs
- 'Uncharted 4' Director Neil Druckmann on Nathan Drake, Sexism in Games
- Motley Crue's Tommy Lee: The Exit Interview
- See Radiohead Play 'Creep' Live For First Time in Seven Years
- R.I.P., GOP: How Trump Is Killing the Republican Party
- Paul McCartney: 'I Was Depressed' After Beatles Split
- Summer 2016's 30 Hottest Tours
- 10 Best 'Saturday Night Live' Sketches From Season 41