Rock Star (Sept. 7th) launches the fall season with a crashing thud. Mark Wahlberg stars as Chris Cole, a Pittsburgh salesman who fronts a mid-1980s heavy-metal tribute band and then gets picked to join the real deal. The plot — a fictionalized take on the life of Tim "Ripper" Owens, who replaced Rob Halford in Judas Priest — hits all the trite notes. There's drugs, orgies, big hair, crotch-hugging leather pants and even a manager girlfriend (Jennifer Aniston) for Chris to dump on the way to the top. Casting actual rockers, such as guitarists Zakk Wylde and Brian Vander Ark, bassist Jeff Pilson and drummer Jason Bonham, to play in the movie band, Steel Dragon, can't disguise the bogus core of the script, by John Stockwell. And director Stephen Herek, whose credits include the juvenile The Mighty Ducks and the tear-jerking Mr. Holland's Opus, is not the guy you'd look to for gritty truth and blunt authenticity.
- Rock Star
- Jennifer Aniston, Mark Wahlberg
- Directed by Stephen Herek
From The Archives Issue 447: May 9, 1985
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- Eagles Members, Jackson Browne Uniting for Glenn Frey Grammy Tribute
- Watch Johnny Depp Star in Funny or Die's Donald Trump Biopic
- Slipknot's Corey Taylor Talks Combating Racism in Metal
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- Watch Samantha Bee Tear Down Kansas Senator on 'Full Frontal' Premiere
- Sorry, Not Sorry: Watch 29 Celebs Perform Justin Bieber Hit