Rock Star (Sept. 7th) launches the fall season with a crashing thud. Mark Wahlberg stars as Chris Cole, a Pittsburgh salesman who fronts a mid-1980s heavy-metal tribute band and then gets picked to join the real deal. The plot — a fictionalized take on the life of Tim "Ripper" Owens, who replaced Rob Halford in Judas Priest — hits all the trite notes. There's drugs, orgies, big hair, crotch-hugging leather pants and even a manager girlfriend (Jennifer Aniston) for Chris to dump on the way to the top. Casting actual rockers, such as guitarists Zakk Wylde and Brian Vander Ark, bassist Jeff Pilson and drummer Jason Bonham, to play in the movie band, Steel Dragon, can't disguise the bogus core of the script, by John Stockwell. And director Stephen Herek, whose credits include the juvenile The Mighty Ducks and the tear-jerking Mr. Holland's Opus, is not the guy you'd look to for gritty truth and blunt authenticity.
- Rock Star
- Jennifer Aniston, Mark Wahlberg
- Directed by Stephen Herek
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
Cracked22 Movies That Made Huge Mistakes You Completely Missed
Salon9 Actors Who Have Done Full-Frontal Nude Scenes
Cracked23 Bizarre Demands Celebrities Have Made Behind The Scenes
Mental Floss10 People Banned from SNL
- Inside Julian Casablancas' Post-Apocalyptic New Video 'Human Sadness'
- Why Baltimore Blew Up
- Watch U2 Perform 'Sweetest Thing' With Bono Impersonator
- My Favorite Grateful Dead Song: Dave Matthews, Black Keys and More
- Florence Welch on Stripping Down at Coachella and Fooling Neil Young
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Legal Dispute Over B.B. King's Last Days Gets Uglier
- Watch Tense Trailer for Sci-Fi Series 'Mr. Robot'