As good as The Ring is, it can't top the original for sheer, shivering terror. The 1998 film from director Hideo Nakata broke box-office records in Japan. For years you had to have a black-market connection to get a copy of the video in America. Now Ringu is here, on a DVD that gives this low-budget cult shocker the class-A treatment it deserves. You don't need extras with this goodie. It's not so much the gore that interests Nakata as the reporter (Nanako Matsushima) digs into the case, it's the subtle dread that keeps you up at night in a cold, clammy sweat.
- Nanako Matsushima, Miki Nakatani, Hiroyuki Sanada, Yuko Takeuchi, Hitomi Sato
- Directed by Hideo Nakata
From The Archives Issue 383: November 25, 1982
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- Watch Neon Trees' Tyler Glenn Slam Mormon Church in New Solo Video
- Drake's New 'Views' Look All Too Familiar
- Inside Tom DeLonge's UFO Obsession, Blink-182 Turmoil
- Will Ferrell, Chad Smith Host Silly, Surreal Drum-Off Sequel in L.A.
- 'Purple Rain' Director Talks Prince's Weird, Wonderful Masterpiece
- Pearl Jam Perform 'Ten' in Its Entirety at Philadelphia Concert
- Radiohead Send Mysterious 'Burn the Witch' Leaflet to Fans
- A Compendium of People Who Hate Ted Cruz's Guts