Here's a documentary that embeds you deep into the war in Afghanistan. Filmmakers Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger follow a platoon of U.S. soldiers, the Second Platoon, Battle Company, 173rd Airborne Brigade, during their 14-month deployment to the Korengal Valley. The troops are shaken when their beloved medic, Juan "Doc" Restrepo, is killed in action. That's when Capt. Dan Kearney pulls out all the stops to allay fears even in the Taliban war zone. Naming their base after Restrepo, these soldiers are seen dealing with death on a daily basis. The filmmakers offer no commentary. We watch. And what we see is explosive, deeply moving and impossible to shake.
- Directed by Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger
From The Archives Issue 435: November 22, 1984
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonThe 19 Greatest Double Entendre Songs
VultureAll 169 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked from Worst to Best
Guitar WorldThe 20 Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Cracked7 Insane Things TV Shows Did When They Ran Out Of Money
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Watch Coldplay, Beyonce and Bruno Mars Rock Super Bowl 50 Halftime
- Super Bowl 50 Commercials: The Best and Worst From the Big Game
- Watch Lady Gaga Sing Stirring National Anthem at Super Bowl 50
- Coldplay's Chris Martin Gets Personal: Inside the New Issue
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- The Vampire Squid Tells Us How to Vote
- 15 Great Songs You Didn't Know Sia Wrote