Shot in black-and-white to mirror Marjane Satrapi's graphic novels of her life growing up in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution, Persepolis – in French with English subtitles – is like nothing you've ever seen in animation. It's a mind-blower. Using a few deft strokes of her black pen, Satrapi brings a whole world to life. With her co-director, Vincent Paronnaud, she does the same thing onscreen, starting in 1978, when the shah is overthrown and the Ayatollah Khomeini drags in an era in which women wear veils, Western culture is condemned and radical Muslims make good on threats of violence. Enter Marjane (voiced as a teenager by the terrific Chiara Mastroianni), the only child of a mother (Catherine Deneuve, Mastroianni's real mom) who warily tolerates her rebellion and the grandchild of a woman (Danielle Darrieux) who actively encourages it. Marjane is a sass queen to rival Juno. Blackmarket records, from Abba to Iron Maiden, are her drug. Like her hero, Bruce Lee, Marjane can't be stopped, which is why her mom ships her off to Vienna. Today, Satrapi lives in France and uses her art to condemn repression. Her movie, alive with humor and heartbreak, is a smart antidote. What better way to chase away menace than Marjane's irrepressible mischief?
- Chiara Mastroianni, Catherine Deneuve, Gena Rowlands
- Directed by Vincent Paronnaud, Marjane Satrapi
From The Archives Issue 1044: January 24, 2008
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked7 Famous Actors Who Lost Their Minds Getting Into Character
Mental Floss10 Actors Who Hated Their Own Films
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
MTV News6 Bands Named After Vaginas
SalonThe 15 Most Hated Bands Of The Last 30 Years
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
- 4 Pro-Gun Arguments We're Sick of Hearing
- Watch Stephen Colbert's Powerful Monologue About Oregon Shooting
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Maynard James Keenan on New Book, Tool LP: 'Do I Seem Like a Lazy Person?'
- 20 Best TV Shows of 2015 So Far
- Robin Williams' Children, Widow Settle Bitter Estate Feud
- How Radiohead Shocked the World: A 15th-Anniversary Salute to 'Kid A'
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time