Ignore the idiots who dismiss the powerful Pariah as Precious Lite. This vibrantly alive debut feature from Dee Rees, drawn from her own life, introduces an original voice. Rees' focus is on Alike (the altogether wonderful Adepero Oduye), a 17-year-old African-American virgin from Brooklyn's middle-class Fort Greene. Alike is eager to come out as a lesbian without knowing quite how to do it or to break the news to her churchgoing mother (Kim Wayans) and her cop dad (Charles Parnell). In her corner are sass-queen sister Sharonda (Sahra Mellesse) and BFF Laura (a knockout Pernell Walker). But what happens when Alike finds herself attracted to Bina (Aasha Davis), who's more closeted than she is? The gifted Rees makes finding out a stirring and heartfelt journey. And Oduye is unforgettable. A star is born.
- Adepero Oduye
- Directed by Dee Rees
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
AskMenThe Top 99 Outstanding Women of 2015
Men's Journal12 Things Every Man Should Know About His Penis
The Daily BeastInside the Racy 'Sex Box' Reality Show
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
Salon5 Mysteries We Hope the “X-Files” Reboot Will Resolve
Cinema Blend10 Great Movies To Watch Before Netflix Gets Rid Of Them On April 1
- The Neverending Nightmare of Amanda Knox
- New Tupac Music From the Vaults Headed for Release
- The Children of ISIS
- The Gangster Princess of Beverly Hills
- Weekend Rock Question: What's the Best Van Halen Album?
- Dr. Dre Talks N.W.A Biopic, Eazy-E's Death, Eminem and Making New Music
- James Taylor's Mellow Rebirth: Inside 'Before This World'
- Watch George Lucas Mock Fox News on 'The Daily Show'