Is this really the best scare flick Hollywood could come up for Halloween? A second sequel to a surprise cheapie hit in 2009? Seriously? Oh wait, Paranormal Activity 3 is a prequel. I'm sorry. It's 1988. And the sisters, Katie (Katie Featherston in PA1) and Kristi (Sprague Grayden in PA2), are just pre-teeners, played respectively by Chloe Csengery and Jessica Tyler Brown. Kristi talks a lot to Toby, her "imaginary" friend. Mom Julie (Lauren Bittner) is concerned, but stepdad Dennis (Chris Smith) is a wedding videographer so he knows how to set up cameras around their SoCal house to catch any mischievous ghosts in action. If you can't fill in the rest of the plot, you haven't seen the first Paranormal Activity or any movie at all. PA3 is shoddy goods with any hint of orginality sucked out of it. Have something pop out in the dark. Wait for a scream. Then drag out the next surprise for an eternity. Repeat cycle. I expected better from directors Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, who scored so high with Catfish last year. But one of their gimmicks is a doozy: Stepdad straps one camera to a slowly moving fan, which will have audiences craning their necks while producing a meager payoff. I fully expect Paranormal Activity 3 to be box office gold. But it's barely worth two stars, let alone two cents. As for future followups, I offer this plea: STOP!
Paranormal Activity 3
- Paranormal Activity 3
- Chris Smith
- Directed by Henry Joost and Ariel Schilman
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
Guitar WorldThe 30 Most Badass Guitarists of All Time
DiffuserThe 10 Nastiest Feuds In Alternative Music
Mental Floss7 Movies That Sent People Running Out of Theaters
SalonTop 11 'SNL' Political Sketches Of All Time
CrackedThe 18 Most Baffling Lines Of Dialogue In Movie History
- There Is No Real Hillary Clinton
- Keith Richards on Getting Busted, Zeppelin and Stones’ Future
- Sammy Hagar: 'If I Joined Van Halen Right Now, I'd Feel Like a Hypocrite'
- Vote for the 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees
- Putin's Angels: Inside Russia's Most Infamous Motorcycle Club
- Frank Zappa's Widow Gail Zappa Dead at 70
- Inside the Wesleyan Molly Bust
- How Radiohead Shocked the World: A 15th-Anniversary Salute to 'Kid A'