If all you know about Monster is that babe Charlize Theron de-glammed to play serial killer Aileen Wuornos, you'll be surprised at how deep her acting goes. The movie itself, despite a "we're doing serious work here" bonus feature with writer-director Patty Jenkins, stays frustratingly shallow. Wuornos' romance with Selby Wall (Christina Ricci, in an underwritten role) has a TV-movie taint. For a scary look at the real Wuornos, watch Nick Broomfield's documentary Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer. It'll keep you up nights.
- Charlize Theron, Bruce Dern, Christina Ricci, Scott Wilson, Lee Tergesen
- Directed by Patty Jenkins
From The Archives Issue 370: May 27, 1982
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind the Scenes
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
Screen Rant10 Decisions That Ruined Movies
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died at Age 27
AskMenThe 40 Best Guy Movies Of All Time
Mental Floss33 Surprising Stories Behind Famous Songs
- Jimmy Fallon Plays Donald Trump, Gets Debate Advice From Obama
- Are Rogue Militants Preparing for War on American Soil?
- Jon Stewart Bids Farewell to Fox News: 'Adios, Motherf---ers'
- Skulls, Satan and Dave Grohl: Inside Mysterious Occult-Rock Band Ghost
- 25 Best 'Daily Show' Correspondents
- Lewis Black on Surviving Two Decades at 'The Daily Show'
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Jon Stewart: Goodbye to the Last Honest Newsman