The new generation of Mexican filmmakers finds a star in Gerardo Naranjo, the director and co-writer of Miss Bala, a terrifying tale of a beauty contest that ends in horror. And if you don't think reality TV is moving in that direction, wake up. Model-turned-actress Stephanie Sigman excels as Laura Guerrero, a restless teen who skips out on her father and younger brother and heads to Tijuana to try out for the title of Miss Baja California. To celebrate making the first cut, Laura parties at a club that turns into a shooting gallery between American DEA agents and a gang of drug runners with a heavy revenge agenda. Lino (Noe Hernandez), the gang leader, enlists Laura as an unwilling accomplice, which begins her descent into a rabbit hole of corruption that leaves no one unscathed, even when Lino arranges for Laura to win the crown. It's one of the film's dark ironies that Miss Bala translates as Miss Bullet. In this perverse version of Alice in Wonderland, newcomer Sigman meets every challenge in a complex role. And Naranjo, a graduate of the American Film Institute, has a gift for staging action that defines character. The film is a harrowing experience. It cuts deep.
- Miss Bala
- Stephanie Sigman
- Directed by Gerardo Naranjo
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Facts You Didn't Know About Back To The Future
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
- Watch Batman and Superman Clash in New 'Dawn of Justice' Trailer
- Being Ringo: A Beatle's All-Starr Life
- Hear Slayer's Eerie New Crusher 'When the Stillness Comes'
- Black Sabbath's Bill Ward: 'I Don't Know If I'm a Member'
- Campaign 2016: Hillary Clinton's Fake Populism Is a Hit
- The Dukes of Oxy: How a Band of Teen Wrestlers Built a Smuggling Empire
- Record Store Day 2015: The Ultimate Guide
- Rolling Stone and UVA: The Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism Report