Meryl Streep can do anything: sing, dance, do splits, act her heart out. The (almost) saves this clumsy, overwrought film version of the Abba musical that's been running on stages from Broadway to Barcelona since 1999,rossing over $2 billion and luring more than 30 million ticketbuyers to hear Abba songs by Sweden's Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson shoehorned into a plot where they don't really fit. Who can argue with that kind of "money, money/Always sunny/In a rich man's world success?" I can, at least, here the movie is concerned, because the three formidable women responsible or the show — producer Judy Craymer, writer Catherine Johnson and director Phyllida Lloyd — let the magic slip through their fingers on the treacherous rip from stage to screen. The plot is still the same: Streep plays Donna, running a hotel on a Greek island (Skopelos and Skiathos, both looking gorgeous) while planning the wedding of her daughter Sophie (Amanda Seyfried, cute) to Sky (Dominic Cooper, also cute). Sophie, the minx, doesn't tell Donna she has sent wedding invites to three men — Sam (Pierce Brosnan), Harry (Colin Firth) and Bill (Stellan Skarsgård) — one of whom she thinks is her father. That premise doesn't deserve scrutiny; neither does the singing of the guys — Brosnan bleats like a moose who just took a bullet. What does work, and wonderfully, is the friendship among Streep and her two BFFs — bestselling author Rosie (Julie Walters, love her!) and professional divorce Tanya (Christine Baranski). Back in the day, they rocked out as part of Donna and the Dynamos (cue "Dancing Queen"). When Streep, Walters and Baranski share the screen, Mamma Mia! comes alive and arns its exclamation point. The rest is forced gaiety pushed to the breaking point.
- Mamma Mia!
- Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard, Julie Walters
- Directed by Phyllida Lloyd
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema Blend15 Gigantic Movies That Are All Coming Out In 2017
Bleacher ReportThe Most Infamous Snubs In Sports
Men's Journal10 Ways To Spice Up Your Sex Life
SalonSecrets Of The Female Pickup Artist
Cinema BlendHarrison Ford's 10 Best Characters
Cracked6 Insane Versions Of Great Movies You Didn't Know Existed
- Chelsea Wolfe Details New Album, Streams Haunting First Single 'Iron Moon'
- First 'Dragon Ball' Anime in 18 Years to Premiere in July
- See Blind Melon's Shannon Hoon Get Naked and Bring Pizza to Guns N' Roses
- Hear Alternate Version of Rolling Stones' 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking'
- Orioles Exec Delivers Powerful Statement on Baltimore Riots
- George Clinton: Doctor Atomic
- How Legendary Tattoo Artist Jonathan Shaw Became the Next Bukowski
- Jesus and Mary Chain Look Back on 30 Years of 'Psychocandy'