Amanda Seyfried looks ripe to take on the life of Linda Lovelace, the Deep Throat blow-job queen who made porn accessible to 1970s America. Seyfried, doing a 180 from her sweet Cosette in Les Misérables, is combustible in the role. She finds the bright-eyed innocence of the Florida teen who makes the mistake of rebelling against her parents (Robert Patrick and, WTF, Sharon Stone) by marrying Chuck Traynor (Peter Sarsgaard), a bullying, abusive entrepreneur. Filmmakers Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman do a solid job setting up the burgeoning porn scene. But they never make us see how makeshift porn families, or party invites from Hugh Hefner (James Franco), could be seductive to a lost kid like Linda. Unlike the far superior Boogie Nights, Lovelace ignores the transitions and temptations that led Linda into a trap. Seyfried could have acted the hell out of that. Instead, Linda's ordeal, from which it took her years to escape, becomes an ordeal for the audience. Disguised as a cautionary fable, the film wallows in Linda's degradation at the hands of Chuck, hardcore director Gerard Damiano (Hank Azaria) and Mob-financed producers (Bobby Cannavale, Chris Noth). We pity Linda, but it's no substitute for understanding her.
- Amanda Seyfried
- Directed by Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental Floss5 Movies That Got Their Filmmakers Arrested
Cinema BlendTop 10 Steamiest Sex Scenes
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
- David Letterman's Top 10 Musical Moments
- Noel Gallagher Sounds Off on Tidal, Zayn Malik and Same-Sex Marriage
- Watch Willie Nelson Talk Songwriting Legacy, Indestructible Guitars on 'Daily Show'
- David Letterman Says Goodbye: Inside Rolling Stone's New Issue
- Watch John Oliver Explore Insanity of Standardized Testing
- 9 Things We Learned From the Kurt Cobain Doc 'Montage of Heck'
- Lucasfilm: New 'Indiana Jones' Film in the Works
- Mayor Bill de Blasio's Crusade