Everyone is ragging so much on writer-director M. Night Shyamalan — he's reportedly arrogant, self-absorbed and unable to produce a hit to match The Sixth Sense — that it would be a pleasure to report that his pet project, Lady in the Water, based on a story he made up for his children, is his vindication. But I'd be lying. The movie is a muddle, burdened with too many characters and a sorry lack of thrills, flair and coherence. Yet Shyamalan's talent is real. Unbreakable strikes me as criminally underrated. What hobbles Lady — the tale of a sea nymph named Story (Bryce Dallas Howard, who looks ethereal and lets it go at that), trapped underneath a swimming pool in a Philadelphia apartment complex — is Shyamalan's unjustified conviction that what he means to say about life and faith is coming across onscreen. It isn't. Story depends on building super Cleveland Heep (Paul Giamatti, who cannot be less than excellent) to save her from creatures who don't want her to get home. Why? Don't look for answers. You'll find only arcane references and characters played by fine actors (Jeffrey Wright, Bill Irwin) who barely register. But if Lady is a misfire for Shyamalan — every non-hack filmmaker has them — it is also the work of a born filmmaker. A new book, The Man Who Heard Voices, by Michael Bamberger, tells how Shyamalan was so enraged at Disney for rejecting his script that he retaliated by taking Lady to Warners. Whether or not you agree that the suits at Disney were right in rejecting the script — and they have their points — it's hard to side with a studio for failing to take a risk on a director who has earned it millions even with lesser films like The Village. You leave Lady thinking there are still voices in Shyamalan's head well worth a listen.
Lady in the Water
- Lady in the Water
- Paul Giamatti, Bryce Dallas Howard, Freddy Rodriguez, Jeffrey Wright, Bob Balaban
- Directed by M. Night Shyamalan
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
AskMenThe Top 99 Outstanding Women of 2015
Men's Journal12 Things Every Man Should Know About His Penis
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most ‘Elite’ Sex Party
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
Salon5 Mysteries We Hope the “X-Files” Reboot Will Resolve
Cinema Blend10 Great Movies To Watch Before Netflix Gets Rid Of Them On April 1
- The Children of ISIS
- Rihanna Asserts Her Dominance on New Song 'Bitch Better Have My Money'
- Dr. Dre Talks N.W.A Biopic, Eazy-E's Death, Eminem and Making New Music
- Roger Daltrey: 'I Want Us to Stop at the Top of Our Game'
- Sara Evans Blasts Fox's 'Last Man on Earth': 'I Was Thoroughly Disgusted'
- Flashback: The Unedited 'Boats 'N Hoes' Video From 'Step Brothers'
- Andy Summers on the Police: 'We Were the Most Desirable Men in the World'
- Why Fewer People Want Their MTV